Proper door installation ensures your new unit can provide the exceptional performance you expect. That’s why it’s important to hire a reliable contractor for the job. Here are some handy tips:
1. Ask family and friends for local referrals. A bit antiquated, maybe, but referrals are still the easiest and most effective way to get an accurate idea of what your experience will be like with a given contractor. Are they professional and experienced? Will they do quality work? Questions like these can be easily answered with a referral. This also means you can avoid the time-wasting task of poring over contractor listings online.
2. Check for the necessary credentials. Protecting yourself and your investment is crucial in any project. That’s why you should always check your choice of door company for the applicable licenses and insurance, plus workers’ compensation and liability coverage. Worker injuries and property damage aren’t uncommon, even with something as seemingly straightforward as door replacement. With a licensed and insured contractor, you can be sure you’re covered should anything go awry during the course of your project.
3. Look for manufacturer certifications. Working with a certified door company provides you access to high-quality door materials, glass and accessories. You’ll also benefit from the superior warranties included with them. Having a manufacturer-certified installer assures you of work done to quality specifications.
4. Consider bids. Be wary of contractors who offer prices that are significantly lower than their competitors. When it’s too good to be true, it usually is. A lower bid is a red flag that could end up with you spending more to remedy unsatisfactory work, have low-quality materials replaced, or make up for sloppy workmanship. For this reason, make sure to work with a contractor who offers quality door options at a reasonable price.
5. Gauge their character. There are a couple of easy ways to do this. First, you can visit their website and read the reviews from previous clients. Most customers are unlikely to hold back when provided with subpar service. Second, look the contractor up on prominent trade sites such as Better Business Bureau®️, Angie’s List or HomeAdvisor. Check if they’ve earned satisfactory scores and reviews. Finally, schedule a face-to-face interview with your choice of door company.
Do you feel comfortable talking to them? Do they seem trustworthy? Make sure to choose someone you feel comfortable with, who can answer any of your questions or concerns in a polite, professional manner. A noncommittal reply and a shrug doesn’t establish confidence at all–if they do this, drop them quickly.
By working with a door contractor who fosters clear communication and trust, you can ensure your replacement project’s success.